LawyersKey - Lawyers Key » USA Laywers » California Lawyer » Can I lose my house over a $60,000 civil judgment against me?

  #1 (permalink)
: I live in California I own and live in my home with my 2 children. My house is worth $195,000. The judgment against me is $60,000. Bankruptcy is not an option. I've tried working out a payment plan with these collectors/lawyers and I can't afford what they want me to pay right now. Can they force me to sell my house? I don't think there's much equity in my home. Serious answers only. I know there's homestead laws in CA but I'm not completely clear on how they work. HELP!

  Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)
: No, a non-foreclosure judgement cannot be used to force sale of a primary residence.
  Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)
: Explain in more detail please.
  Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)
: Not unless you've put the house up as some kind of collateral. The time to negotiate this would have been before the judgement. I wonder why you didn't. Creditors are only in it for the money so if you tell them they can accept your terms or get nothing I suspect they'll reconsider. You need to see a lawyer to figure this all out.
  Reply With Quote



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Friendly Sites:

Copyright 2014,